Giving to the College of Arts and Letters (CAL)
As a public institution for higher education, the College of Arts and Letters (CAL) at San Diego State University is dedicated to providing a quality, affordable education to all eligible students. Historically, we have primarily relied upon state support for most of our budget, but due to the state’s increasing fiscal problems we can no longer do so. Funding has been reduced drastically, making private contributions from alumni and friends increasingly important, if CAL is to fulfill its mission of excellence in education, research, and service.
Did you know?
- In 2010-11, 55.3% of the students at SDSU, received financial aid, while in 2008-2009, only 47.1% received aid.
- The cost of tuition for full-time SDSU students in 2010-11 was $2,603 per semester while the cost in 2008-2009, was $1,714. The cost of tuition for the Spring 2014 is $2,736 per semester.
Your planned gift has the power to change lives and transform our community. Donors who arrange to benefit the college through planned gifts enable us to continue to provide transformational education opportunities. No matter the size of the gift -- through your will, trust, real estate, retirement assets, or insurance, -- you can help to support educational experiences that prepare students through innovative programs, applied learning, research, and collaboration with alumni and the local business community. Learn more about Planned Giving and how you can help.
The College of Arts & Letters focuses its fundraising efforts in three major areas: Faculty/Student Excellence, International Initiatives, and Community Engagement. Within these areas there are specific funding needs for endowments; support for undergraduate, graduate, or faculty research; student scholarships; international student internships; and outreach activities to support the community and its educational programs.
- Student scholarships or internships.
Engaging the Region
Enhance the Contributions of the Faculty and Students in the San Diego Community
Opportunities include support for:
- current and new internship programs;
- collaborative research that addresses vital issues facing the San Diego community; and
- faculty leadership and involvement in important issues that affect the social, economic, and cultural life of San Diego.
Supporting Students Academic Excellence
Opportunities include support for:
- faculty award programs for excellence in teaching and research;
- faculty leadership and involvement in important issues that affect the social, economic, and cultural life of San Diego;
- the recruitment and retention of faculty;
- a distinguished Lecture Series to bring outstanding scholars and professionals to visit the CAL and interact with the CAL faculty and students, as well as to present open lectures to the San Diego community;
- a CAL distinguished Professor Program to honor the most renowned faculty of the College in terms of their scholarly, professional, and civic contributions;
- Arts & Letters department general scholarships;
- international educational experiences;
- awards for outstanding student papers, projects, or theses;
- internship experiences;
- highly achieving students from diverse backgrounds, particularly those who are economically disadvantaged, so that they will succeed at the highest academic levels; and
- integration of students into research, scholarship, and creative activities.
Endowed Professorships/Fellowships and support for Faculty
- Support of endowments: endowed Chairs, Professorships, Lecture Series and Scholarships.
Ways to Make Your Donation
There are a variety of ways for you to make a donation to the College of Arts and Letters. All donations are tax-deductible, private and secure. Please be sure to indicate which CAL program you are donating to. For a list of departments, programs, centers and institutes, please see the Academics section of our web site.
By Mail or Phone
To make a donation through a credit card or check by mail:
- Please complete this form, print, and use the email button to submit the form or print it out and send it to:
The College of Arts and Letters
Attn: Development Office
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-6060
- Form will open in a new window which you can close after printing.
- If paying by check, please make check payable to: Campanile Foundation.
To make a donation through a credit card by phone:
Please call the Development Coordinator at (619) 594-8569. Please have your credit card number, expiration date, and daytime telephone number ready.
To make a donation through a credit card online, please click on the button below: